If you are looking for a type of cookware that offers excellent heat distribution and maximum durability, you cannot do better than cast iron. Cast-iron cookware is heavier than most cookware and it can also be a little bit more work to maintain. However, this type of cookware is extremely durable and surprisingly easy to maintain. To get you started in your cast-iron cookware collection, consider the Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron 3-Piece Skillet Set. This set of three cast-iron skillets comes pre-seasoned for your convenience and it is highly affordable, priced at just over $30. Simply put, you cannot do better than the Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron 3-Piece Skillet Set when it comes to cast-iron starter kits. To learn more about the Universal Housewares Set, review the list of features as well as the pros and cons discussed below.
The Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron 3-Piece Skillet Set comes with three pieces of high-quality cast-iron cookware. Each piece features a heavy-gauge cast-iron construction which is guaranteed to provide the maximum degree of durability. To get the best results out of cast-iron cookware you usually need to season it – fortunately, the Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron 3-Piece Skillet Set comes pre-seasoned! This makes the entire set much more durable and easier to maintain than it would be if you seasoned it yourself. Keep in mind that you will need to re-season the set occasionally to make sure that stays in good shape. The seasoning is what keeps food from sticking to the surface and it also makes the task of clean-up quick and easy – you just have to rinse and dry the cookware after use.
So what comes with the Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron 3-Piece Skillet Set? The short answer is – everything you could possibly ask for in a premium cookware set. If you want to know the details, however, you will find the following included in your cookware set:
- A 6.25-inch pre-seasoned cast iron skillet
- A 7.8-inch pre-seasoned cast iron skillet
- A 10-inch pre-seasoned cast iron skillet
As you would expect for a cast-iron cookware set, the Universal Housewares Cast-Iron 3-Piece Skillet Set is incredibly durable and long-lasting. The factory pre-seasoning will last longer than it would if you had done it yourself, and it makes maintenance of your set much easier as well. The cast-iron materials ensure optimal heat retention for even cooking.
Though the Universal Housewares Cast-Iron Set has a long list of pros, there are still a few cons to consider. As long as you wash and dry your cast-iron cookware immediately after use, it is fairly easy to maintain. However, you may need to re-season your cookware occasionally. Cast-iron cookware is slow to heat up, though it does offer better heat retention and distribution than many materials.
- Three assorted sizes for all kinds of cooking applications
- Pre-seasoning is much more durable than at-home seasoning
- Heavy-duty construction for long-lasting durability and even heat distribution
- Highly affordable for a high-quality set of cast-iron skillets
- Can withstand very high temperatures – even grills and campfires
- Takes longer to heat up and cool down than other materials
- May need to be re-seasoned occasionally to prolong life of the material
- Rusting may occur but it can be cleaned away and then re-seasoned
- May be too small to prepare a dish for the entire family